Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A little different...

So I thought since I haven't knitted and really haven't moved from the couch in about 24 hours, I'd sit up for a few and check out my friends' podcast while I typed up a little blog post of my own.

We as a family don't get many real vacations, like when you pick a destination and travel away from home and actually be a tourist someplace other than the same county you've always lived in. (Our's is a beautiful place, but it's home, ya know!) So this past June hubby and I decided that the kids needed to see Mackinaw Island. For that matter, so did I!! I've lived in Michigan all my life and had never actually been to the island. So we looked online into camping/hotel rates and decided that if we were going to spend three nights up north in June that we would rent a cabin instead of tenting and it was WAY cheaper than hotels. Plus, bonus we could have a campfire!!! So that's what we did. We drove the four hour drive up to the bridge and pulled into our cabin which was brand new and wonderful... here's a couple looks of the interior (it really sleeps six and it was so great!)

The Cabin in Mackinaw City
Tom in the cabin.

Sorry that I forgot to take outside pics, but the place was awesome. Here's a view from just a very short walk toward the water still at our campground, we didn't pay extra for the view but it was worth a couple steps to see this...

View from the campground

See what I mean!!!! And of course I could bore you to tears with all the fun we had but here are just a couple of the things we saw

Whitefish Point in the Upper Peninsula on Lake Superior
Lighthouse
and of course Taquemenon Falls, we skipped the lower falls due to a storm...
Taquemenon Falls
And these are my favorite views on Mackinaw Island!!!!
View from the fort
Arch Rock

I think that's enough for today. I love to travel and see new things, even when they are close enough to home that you can drive there almost without stopping!!! Hopefully we will travel more in the future, after all my family and friends are spread out all over this wonderful world we live in!!!! So happy travelling and I need to hit the couch again really bad... that darn back!!!!

No comments: