Thursday, October 20, 2011

Yes, I'm That Kind Of Crazy....

I know this blog isn't about knitting anymore, and I'm ok with that, I just need an outlet to unleash some thoughts and maybe even put down some goals to hold myself accountable. Ok? Ok.

So as the new me becomes an athlete, I'm learning something... I need goals. I just don't function without a race to train for!!! I did SOOO great training for my half marathon and it turned out perfect. Then I said for the next two months or so I was still going to run but I was going to focus more on strength, right? Right. Well, let's see how that's going.... it's just a little unfocused. Not that I haven't been working out, I truly have, but I just feel like I'm floundering! This week I didn't get to workout on Tuesday which is a unusual, but it was a work meeting thing, so from Sunday to Thursday I hadn't exercised... and it was killing me! Today was rainy, 45 degrees, and windy and I ended up running 6 miles! I needed that SOOOO bad! I don't want to skip another workout for a while, that was brutal!!! Also, the week after my half, I was at my goal weight... now I'm 2.5 pounds heavier again!! I know it's not all about the scale, but I swear I do feel the difference and I don't want some of my old bad habits to start creeping back in, so I'm sticking with my eating and workout plan until I get back and under my goal!

So I'm making another plan. I don't have the date of the first race I'm planning next spring, but it will be another half marathon in April (again with my awesome college roomie). Then after that I'm planning the 25k (15.5 miles) in Grand Rapids (the Fifth Third Riverbank Run) which is May 12. After THAT.... I'm going to find a marathon to train for! Yup, I said it. Next fall, probably September or October, I will find and train and run a full marathon. 26.2 miles. I won't set a time goal, I will just train to finish as strong as I can. I'm that kind of crazy.

Ok, now that I've actually said it in "writing" I feel like the goal is set. I will achieve this just like I have in the last year! I started by just wanting to run a 5k.... two years later I'll be running a marathon. At age 40. Because I'm an athlete now. And I'm crazy!

No comments: